At 27, B Tech holder has a record of at least 15 crimes using ingenuine means, staling mobile phones to motor vehicles, says Cyberabad police commissioner V C Sajjanar
By D RAMCHANDRAM
He probably thought he would have the world in his pocket. He thought he was cleverly using the technology to hoodwink and cheat gullible people. But the proverbial long arm of the law caught up with him and now he is cooling his heels behind the bars, having committed, hold your breath, at least 15 crimes – all singlehanded.
The case in point is the arrest of interstate criminal, Gudati Mahesh Nuthan Kumar. Sleuths of Special Operation Team, Shamshabad Zone and Madhapur Police apprehended the notorious and habitual cheat and unearthed a big racket.
Kumar completed B.Tech(EEE) in the year-2016 and worked as mobile technician in Bhimavaram in West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh for some time. Later he came to Hyderabad and joined as mobile technician at Malakpet where he stole mobile phones and accessories with duplicate keys. He was arrested in 2016. After that he returned to his native Bhimavaram, where he stole a Camera at Palakoderu in 2018 and went to jail. Again that he came to Hyderabad. He resumed his criminal activities by stealing Tata Bolt car, one Laptop and Rs. 25000 in cash and one Drivezy Active. In all these cases he was arrested by SR Nagar Police officials and released from jail in December-2019.
His Modus operandi is very different. He books rooms through room sharing apps, steals identities, Aadhar Card, Laptop, cash and and runs disappears.
- The accused Gudati Mahesh Nuthan Kumar, S/o. Laxmana Suri Age: 27 is a N/o. Seesali Village, Kalla Mandal, Bhimavaram, West Godavari Dist, Andhra Pradesh State and presently R/o. Chengicherla Village, Ghatkesar Mandal, Medchal Malkajgiri Dist, Telangana State.
Using the stolen Aadhar Cards and identities, books rental cars and bikes through apps from Zoom, Revv, Drivezy and Royal Brothers in different cities, removes GPS Tracking System fitted to the vehicles, reaches Hyderabad and sells the same at throw away prices to the known people in the circle.
When he runs short of IDs and wants more IDs, he advertises for a driver in OLX collects ID’s and uses the ID of the respondents.
He has stolen several cars and bikes of which six four wheelers and one two wheeler vehicle is recovered by police.
Kumar is involved in nine cases across seven states - Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
Cyberabad police commissioner VC Sajjanar said stolen property worth Rs Seventy Lakhs recovered from Kumar, including: Innova Crysta-01, Volkswagen Polo-01, Baleno-01, Swift cars-02 and Verna-01 and 1 two wheeler (Royal Enfield).
The police chief complimented the hard work of SOT Shamshabad Zone and Madhapur Police that has led to breaking the racket. The case came into light when Zoom car manager lodged a complaint on 25th February when a Swift Car from Zoom Cars Madhapur was taken with the ID card of M. Kiran Kumar and fled away.
Sajjanar advised public not to share room with unknown persons, especially when booked through room sharing apps. They should always be vigilant, take all precautions to safeguard their valuables including their identity cards. They must protect their valuables by keeping in lockers to ensure that they are out of reach to offenders like Gudati Mahesh.
Vehicle renting companies, shop owners too must verify documents carefully through multiple sources before they lend them to customers. They should have common database of all such rentals to check the credentials on a real time basis. They must also collect real-time photos and mobile numbers for verification. The public must report loss of documents such as Aadhar to nearest Police Station, Sajjanar explained.
In case of any suspicious movement of persons or vehicles, public must report to police on Dial 100 or Whatsapp No. 9490617444.
Here is a list of crimes committed by Gudati Mahesh Nuthan Kumar
1) Cr.No. 358/2021, U/s 420, 379 IPC of Madhapur PS, Cyberabad.
2) Cr.No. 95/2021, U/s 420, 379 IPC and Sec 66-C, 66-D IT act-2008 of PS Maharanipeta PS, Vizag City, Andra Pradesh State.
3) Cr.No. 32/2021, U/s 406, 420 IPC of Shilpur PS, Howrah Dist, West Bengal State.
4) Cr.No. 262/2021, U/s 406, 420 IPC of PS Palarivattom, Kochi City of Kerala State.
5) Cr.No. 245/2021, U/s 420, 379 IPC and Sec 66-C, 66-D of IT act of PS Hinjewadi PS of Pimpiri Chinchwad, Pune Dist, Maharastra State.
6) Cr.No. 51/2021, U/s 420, 379 IPC of PS Rajajinagar of Bangalore City, Karnataka State.
7) Cr.No.04/2021, of Anna Sagar PS of Rajamangalam Dist, Tamilnadu State.
8) Cr.no 22/2021 u/s 420, 379 IPC of Hebbal PS of Mysore, Karnataka State.
9) One Royal Enfield Bike theft case at Ramamurthy Nagar, Bangalore city, Karnataka State.
Accused previously involved following cases:
1. Cr.No. 297/2016, U/s 381 IPC of PS Malakpet, Hyderabad.
2. Cr.No. 102/2018, U/s 379 IPC of PS Palakoderu, WG Dist, AP State.
3. Cr.No. 944/2018, U/s 406, 420 IPC of PS SR Nagar, Hyderabad.
4. Cr.No. 867/2019, U/s 380, 406, 420 IPC of SR Nagar PS, Hyderabad.
5. Cr.No. 868/2019, U/s 380, 406, 420 IPC of SR Nagar PS, Hyderabad.
6. Cr.No. 175/2019, U/s 379 IPC of Madivala PS, Bangalore City, Karnataka State.