MUMBAI, July 24, 2020. With COVID pandemic gripping all he countries in the world, World Health Organisation (WHO) has ruled out the possibility of going back to the old normal.
WHO has reported more than 15 million cases of COVID-19 have now been reported to WHO and almost 620 thousand deaths.
The pandemic has disrupted the lives of billions of people. Many have been at home for months. It’s completely understandable that people want to get on with their lives, said WHO Director General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said addressing a virtual global media meet Thursday.
But we will not be going back to the old normal. The pandemic has already changed the way we live our lives. Part of adjusting to the new normal is finding ways to live our lives safely, he said.
It can be done, but how to do it will depend on where you live and your circumstances. It’s all about making good choices, Dr Tedros said.
The WHO DG explained that the best way to suppress transmission and save lives is by engaging individuals and communities to manage their own risk and take evidence-based decisions to protect their own health and that of those around them.
Although all countries have been affected, we continue to see intense transmission in a relatively small group of countries.
Almost 10 million cases, or two-thirds of all cases globally, are from 10 countries, and almost half of all cases reported so far are from just three countries.
As we have said previously, political leadership and community engagement are the two vital pillars of the response.
One of the tools governments can use is the law – not to coerce, but to protect health while protecting human rights, he added.